One of the many things to love about our neighbourhood is how rich it is with history. There’s really no shortage, with both the St. Lawrence Market and The Distillery District nearby. On top of those things, Toronto’s first post office is also so close to us. Take a closer look at its history with us!
Photo via City of Toronto Archives
Toronto’s first post office is in a row of historic buildings along Adelaide Street East and was built back in 1833, only a year before Toronto was actually founded. The building was in use as the post office from 1833 until 1839, when operations were moved to a building at Front and Yonge when they required a larger space. After that the building went through a variety of changes and changed hands a few times. Christie’s biscuits first purchased the block when their bakery was across the street in a building that is now part of George Brown College. After that, United Farmers Co-op took over the block and the building was used as storage until the 1950s.
By the late 1970s, there was a fire nearby and the then-abandoned building was almost lost in it. Luckily, it survived the fire and the building was restored. By 1983, restoration was complete and the First Post Office museum was opened. The museum is still there and operational to this day! It acts both as a post office and museum and features displays of items used to write letters in the 1800s. This includes quills, pen knifes, inkpots, and so much more.
Give this small, local museum a visit and see some history for yourself.